Sunday, August 23, 2015

GERMANY

Rothenburg. "A charming bit of Yesterday."  And it is totally true. I love this city. Like absolutely, no doubt about it, in love with this city. 

As unpleasant as our trip to Camp Dachau was, I wouldn't change it. It was such a learning a great experience. Walking around where it actually happened, knowing that innocent people died there was really hard but at the same time it is a good way to remember them and I feel that was one of the most important parts of our whole trip.

I loved walking around the city! I loved their streets and all the beautiful buildings! Like I really loved it! I could not keep a smile off my face that first night as we wandered the city. 
The first night, Megan and I went on the Night Watchman's Tour. It was awesome! And hilarious! There was the biggest crowd there that that guy had ever seen! We had to wiggle and gently push and run our way to the front every time he moved so we could hear. And one of the best parts was the way he talked! Our chaperone's husband did an absolutely perfect impersonation of it! I would highly recommend going on this tour if you ever find your self in Rothenburg.
The famous night watchman, who came to our concert!

The keys to get into our hotel rooms were super cool, they were actual skeleton keys! Fun story: On the day of the concert my roommate, who was in the choir, left our room to go to her concert before I got back from my concert, so I was locked out. Or was I? I used Megan's key, who's room was right next to ours. It took a little wiggling but I eventually unlocked ours with their key. Later that night, Megan's roommate had the key and was off doing something so Megan couldn't get into her room, so she tried our key. The reason her key worked for our room but not vice versa was because our key hold was bigger than theirs. Our key was too big to even fit in their, but their key was just small enough that we could still use it to get mine unlocked.
I thought our room key was so cool that I just had to take a picture
This concert was definitely one of the most fun. The people were super into it and we got several encores. The audience was super energetic and clapped a ton during our songs. And the town square where we were performing was COMPLETELY full! It was the biggest crowed they'd ever had for a performance! And then the choir performance was perfect, as usual! Another fun story: Megan, Bena and I brought our fans because we figured in a chapel with a ton of people it would be hot. And it was. Before the concert started we were sitting down and fanning ourselves when the girl next to me turns to us and asks us where we got our fans. She looked sad when we said Italy. ;)


There is a wall that goes around the city of Rothenburg that you can walk around. It's pretty awesome. The ground is pretty uneven and in some places it is really narrow, but it was still cool! We were walking on a place where people had fought from and protected their city, how cool is that! The stairs were terrifying though! They were step and not wide and just plain little. You could fall easily and break your neck!
This is inside the wall...well the part where we were walking on.

The last night of our trip we had a party. Each coach was supposed to come up with a skit about the trip to present on stage. Everyone's was HILARIOUS! Except ours. ;) Our coach went last too, so we got to see everyone else's and, at least I did, groan when you realize they are all funnier than ours. Don't get me wrong, I liked ours and it was cute and clever, it just wasn't the funniest. ;) We did a slideshow. We had a slide of London where we were all waiting for a taxi, a slide for Italy where there was a human gondola and people looking very hot, there was a slide about our iPod Idol games, a slide with all of us in it talking a selfie, a Paris slide with the Eiffel Tower, an Switzerland slide with a human ski lift, and a Germany slide with the night watchman impersonator. And, of course, as we left the stage our coach did our cheer of our blehs and euus.

Flight home. So so so sad. And holy moly was I ever tired! We had to wake up at 3 that day, and then just got a little nap on our way to the airport where we had to stay awake until our next flight. Our eight hour flight. I only took a little nap because I didn't want to be super horribly jet lagged if I could help it. I watched three movies on that flight. Unfortunately there were no movies on the next flight. Which was ten billion times harder to stay awake on. I wrote in my journal for a while on that flight, but then I was getting so tired that I wasn't making any sense. So Maddie and I played War the whole rest of the flight. It was hilarious! We were so tired that sometimes one of us would put down a card and then pick it back up without realizing that the other person didn't put any down. Or we would just grab both cards without thinking of who won. And then there was the time that I put a card down and literally a second later got really confused because I didn't realize that I had put that card down. It was pretty funny! And then going down the escalator at the Salt Lake Airport and seeing my parents waiting there for me was special! I missed them so much! They gave me a couple of balloons, one of which is still floating at my ceiling in my bedroom over a month later! 

I miss Europe and can't wait until I can one day go back! It was definitely the best 16 days of my life! I am so so so grateful to my parents for paying for it and I don't think I will ever be able to say thank you enough. Thank you Mom and Dad! I wish you guys could have been there with me! It was an AMAZING experience and everything that I learned there will definitely stay with me the rest of my life. I wish I was back in Europe! :) Thanks for  reading about my adventure! Go to Europe someday, it is incredible! 

No comments:

Post a Comment