Monday, August 17, 2015

LIECHTENSTEIN AUSTRIA ITALY

I know that three countries for one post might seem like a bit much, but two of those we spent less than a day in.

Liechtenstein. A small country with a population of 37,000. We went through this country on our way from Switzerland to Austria. I slept the whole way there, woke up for our one rest stop, and then slept the whole rest of the way out of the country. Hi Lichtenstein. Bye Lichtenstein. It was really that small!

All through Europe I had this thing where I counted all the dogs that I saw. Don't ask why, it's a long story. On our first night in Austria we saw a TON of dogs and I mentioned to my friends how I wished that I spoke German so that I could ask some of the people if I could pet their dog. So someone looked it up and I wrote it on my hand so that I could ask the next person I saw with a dog. I may or may not have chickened out for a little while but on our walk back to the hotel I decided to do it. Of course, the people who I chose to ask spoke English. But they spoke German too so we told them the story and they laughed. ;) One of the people in that group was from Sweden so she told us how to say it in her language and then we told her how to say it in ours. It was a great threshold experience! It was really funny too because she couldn't figure out how to put the "t" on the end of "pet". But those dogs were adorable and loved us!

Our concert was pretty fun. Except the audience was like dead. They would clap when we ended a song but they weren't into the music. I decided that was because it was sprinkling a little bit and they didn't like the weather instead of not liking our music. The cloud cover was nice while we were playing because then it wasn't horrible hot, but it was also frightening because it looked like it would start pouring rain any second and getting woodwind instruments wet ruins them. Thanks to prayers, it only started lightly sprinkling during our last three songs. But the second that everyone's instruments were put away it started pouring like no other! It was such a miracle! Although we did all have to help put the chairs away for a minute and then we all had to walk back to our hotels, which ours was about a 15 minute walk. So Megan and I and our chaperone walked in the rain getting drenched. And then, once we got back to our hotel, we decided to ditch our shoes in our room and go dancing in the rain. It was so so so much fun! It didn't last very long though. Literally. We were out there for about thirty seconds before the owner of the hotel told us to come in because the lightning was really close. But it was still a bunch of fun! Bena and I had a ton of fun taking pictures of the wet flowers and leaves too that were on our balcony.

I went into the bathroom one night to shower and I saw this huge spider on the door. And since we were a room full of girls we all screamed and Bena threw her shoe at it but we couldn't tell if it was dead or not so we went and got our chaperones husband and got him to kill it for us. It was horrible! ;)

It took 5 hours to get to Venice. Where we had 5 hours before we had to make the 5 hour trip back to our hotels. But it was definitely a memorable day! The boat ride to get across the Adriatic Sea was absolutely awful! Those boats were not meant for people who get motion sick. I literally had to sit and pray the entire half hour so I wouldn't throw up! Venice was hot. Like really, super duper, mega hot. We had our little tour around the city very first so we couldn't go get fans or ice cream or anything to cool us off. It was miserable! After eating gelato to cool us down, Megan and I and another friend went in search of our fans. And after walking around the entire square and buying a few other things, we found the perfect ones. Mine is blue, bet you would have never guessed that. ;) After we got our fans we ran into some other UAM people, there were over three hundred of us all dressed the same so it was hard not to, who told us to go eat from this super delicious gelato place and since we were so so hot we decided to. It was AMAZING! And way better than the first place we went to! It definitely helped us cool down! Unfortunately, after having 300 teenagers spend hours in a hot, humid city where we were just walking around, we stunk really bad. Thank goodness one of our chaperones thought to bring a Febreze bottle onto the coach and sprayed us all as we got on. It helped. A little. But the next morning when you walked on the bus it was like a massive wave of stench.

In Venice, we also got to go to this place and watch how they do glass blowing. It was soo cool! And then we went into another room and they showed us all the stuff they make and just how awesome it all is. Some of the glasses would just roll back up when you pushed them over, and some changed color under certain light. Did I mention how ultra expensive they were? Well, they were like an arm and a leg just for one glass. But they were so pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment